POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Confining an object to within an sPatch object : Re: Confining an object to within an sPatch object Server Time
6 Sep 2024 00:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Confining an object to within an sPatch object
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 27 Jan 2000 00:43:09
Message: <388fdaed@news.povray.org>
Yes, animated, although that makes little difference if you set it up like an
animation and use a mid range clock value for instance to do the still image.
The stream flow thing was simply a spray directed along the ground plane.  I was
thinking it could also fall from a height onto the ground with little or no
bounce to pool up in a basin.  The main problem being to keep it around long
enough (the lifetime and evaporation parameters) since the particles have a
tendency to shrink away regardless of the settings from what I could tell about
it.
It should be possible for a limited puddling anyhow just using the spray alone
and no separate puddle object.
Not sure I gather your reasoning about the torus or cylinder with a hole for
standing water, unless you meant for the containing object.  That would need
some CSG used on the spray.  I usually go with either plane, clipped plane, box,
blob, disc or cylinder as water surfaces with a wrinkles pattern or highly
turbulent ripples (waves if active water).  Others have used 'height_field' too,
in various ways.

Bob

"The "D"" <the### [at] netzeronet> wrote in message

Bob Hughes <omn### [at] hotmailcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote in message
> Possibly I suppose, although I've only used a separate object for water pools
> (except for a stream I did once).  I'd think you would need a real long "life"
> for the spray to get it to collect.  I haven't had much success in keeping the
> fake liquid around very long but with a continual flow I would think so.

Was this in an animation, because I was planning on doing a still at least for
now. BTW what object do you normally use for water becasue I'm baffled as to
what I should use so far I've come up with a taurus or cylender with a whole in
it modified by the wave or ripple normal.